Friday, January 5, 2007

Sew What

I visited a fabric store the other day with a friend of mine. As a beginner sewer, I enjoy looking at the different patterns, fabrics, and notions available. I can sew a straight line and can, for the most part, read a pattern. I’m not going to ever be a great seamstress but if I can make the things I want to be able to or mend what’s needed, then I’ll be happy. I’ve been at it a year now (OS bought me a machine last year for Christmas!) and so far, so good. My most recent accomplishment has been the curtains in my new office. They’re perfect and there’s no way I could’ve bought them for the price I paid to make them. That’s my “hampering” point. By the time you pay for the fabric, pattern, elastic, buttons or whatever needed, it just doesn’t pay to sew your own clothes anymore. It’s quickly becoming a lost art, of sorts. I’ve seen clothing with stitching that truly is beautiful. I know they have machines now that you simply download (from the internet) the pattern into your machine and it embroiders for you, but years ago (and not that many years really), they didn’t have those machines and the women did it manually. That truly is an art form.
I understand that wally-world is going to quit selling bolt fabric (only the prepackaged fabric will be sold). Some stores have already stopped and the one in my area will end when they remodel this summer. That will leave only 2 fabric stores left – and those are in the city. Wally-world is the cheapest (outside ordering bulk online) way for me to obtain the fabric needed, so discontinuing the sale of fabric will hurt; not to mention that when I get a wild hair and want to “whip” up a pair of pj’s for YS, it just wouldn’t pay for me to go all the way into the city for the material.
I sew “cooling ties” for an organization called “The Hugs Project”. These cooling ties are sent overseas to our soldiers to help keep them cool during those incredibly hot summers. The need for them is incredible. One order alone last year was for 10,000 ties and needed within weeks. There are about 2200 members now and everyone pitched in to complete it. I buy fabric on the average of once a month (unless there’s a great sale) so I’m going to have to rethink and re-plan my shopping sprees to the city to include the fabric stores!

3 comments:

HollyB said...

Good on you, Lovi. I have my Nanny's old Singer and my only NY's resolution is to learn to sew this year.
Wish me luck.
BTW, I'm clickin those ads when I come in and when I leave. You're welcome.

Flo said...

Well that bites. I bet when they decide to build that WW out here, they won't be carrying fabric anymore. Just when I was about to get room to pick up some sewing myself. Damn, I just hate that we'll have to plan shopping trips!

Lovi said...

Thanks for the clicks Holly!
I learned to sew from a website - kind of a Learn-to-Sew for Dummies kind of thing - really easy to understand. If I can learn it - I know you can!