Monday, January 29, 2007

It's beginning to Look a Lot Like....

PROM!!!
Last year around the 3rd week of Feb., DD and I started out on the adventure known as “Prom Dress Shopping”. After visiting several stores and trying on thousands (or so it seemed) dresses we found the one. This dress was DD’s favorite and indeed it was “cute”, but she needed a size bigger. Of course they didn’t have it and it was getting to the point where it was too late to order online (if you could find it). DD was horribly disappointed so we made a pack to start earlier next year.
So that’s what we did. The Prom theme this year is “Garden of Dreams” so there are several directions in which to go if she wanted. DD is very big into anime of any Japanese art, black is her favorite color (for a dress) and she wanted some kind of straps. She’s not comfortable in strapless gowns she says. Okey-dokey. So after dinner Friday night, DD and I took off to the city. We decided that we would start at the store where we bought her dress last year and move onto the mall from there. We were looking around the racks of dresses when I found this dress that, on the hanger just looked ok, but I loved the colors (black and turquoise) and the cut. I deemed it “this is the one” (tito for short). DD liked it enough to put it into the “try-on” pile. Once we gathered enough dresses to make any runway model exhausted we headed towards the fitting rooms. Grabbing the biggest room we could, we started the “ritual”, I take them off the hangers, put them over her head, she adjusts as necessary and I zip, button or smooth whatever.
The dress I picked out was the 2nd dress she tried on. She put it on, adjusted, I zipped and smoothed and we both looked up into the mirror at the same time and said “this is the one” and started laughing. We tried on all the other dresses and put them all back, they just didn’t compare. We headed off to the mall and tried on what seemed like every dress in every store. Didn’t like a one. Every time she put on a dress, we both compared it to “tito”. At the end of the night we went back to the first store and bought the dress. It was marked $50 off so that helped. I told DD there’s no sense in us shopping anymore if we keep comparing the dresses to this one and we could end up like last year and not have the one she likes best (there was only the one in her size). So now we have the dress, (one HUGE headache out of the way) and shoes. We only have to find the jewelry, hair, nails, etc…
Good thing we have 3 months to do it in!

8 comments:

HollyB said...

Way to GO. Lovi! I could NEVER shop w/ the BGiT, we just got on each other's nerves. I just turned her loose w/ the plastic and a spending limit. We were both a lot happier that way.
Congrats.

Lovi said...

Thanks Holly - It's definitely a relief to have it out of the way!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see "the" dress!

Flo said...

Yeah, well you're taking MFD (YFN) shopping when it's her turn!

Oh no, I've got it! MFS can take her, he knows all the best scav stores around!

Lovi said...

J - stop by anytime and have a looksie!I've missed ya!

Flo - Has MFN been invited this year? I'd LOVE to go shopping with her - spending your money sounds like a good time to me!
Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha
Seriously - I'd love to go with her!

Flo said...

Bite your tongue, woman! She's only a sophomore. Besides, she seems to have a thing for younger guys. If I'm lucky, I'll only have to deal with it one year. Homecoming has been plenty enough for me!

DW said...

Got to do the shopping with the youngest Step Daughter, went up the road to Fayetnam, shopped allday and went to lunch at her favorite resturant. Two years in a row. loved it

Lovi said...

Just shows what a great dad you are DW. Most wouldn't dream of taking the opportunity - my hats off to you