Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Movie Madness

I took DD and YS to the movies yesterday to see Happy Feet. It’s a rare treat for my kids to go to an actual movie theatre with us (hubby or me) anymore since the availability and convenience of DVD’s is so alluring and frankly, there just aren’t many movies made these days that I absolutely can’t wait to see until they come out on DVD. Happy Feet was to be our holiday “treat” though, a few hours away from the hustle and bustle, so off we went.
It quickly came slamming back all the reasons why I don’t go to a theatre anymore. We arrived early enough to pay for our tickets and then waited our turn in the snack bar line. For 1 popcorn and 2 drinks cost only 34 cents less than all of our tickets to the show combined. Ridiculous that less than $1 worth of product costs that much.
The show time that we picked was an early one and the theatre wasn’t very crowded at all which made it nice. It was a kid’s movie so obviously kids were there. Kids make noise. They cry, laugh, talk, cough, fart, basically whatever they feel the need to do - when they feel the need to do it. They can’t help it and to expect total silence at this type of movie would be unrealistic.
However, when a child cries – or rather throws a screaming hissy-fit, because they can’t have anymore candy – it’s time to take that child outside the theatre until said fit is over. Telling the child (talking over the screaming) that they aren’t getting anymore and throwing the fit isn’t going to work until the parent is mad is not only rude but shows poor parenting skills. (Stepping down from my high-horse now).
The movie itself was “just ok”. I’m glad I saw it and even gladder I didn’t have to pay out the nose to see it (matinee’s rock!). This is not a DVD “gotta have”. YS really enjoyed it though and I'm left to wonder how this kid - who can’t remember 2 simple tasks in a row (clean your room and then feed the dogs) can recite the entire movie almost verbatim after only seeing it this one time.

2 comments:

HollyB said...

Lovi, my Angel Baby Girl was able to recite plot and lines from Alladin, Bambi, Little Mermaid, and many other Disney flicks and mimic the voices perfectly.
Son, on the other hand, couldn't do that as a child, with any movie but Wizards. at age 3, he would sit thru that movie again and again, totally mesmerized. Once he was a pre-teen it became creature features and martial-arts movies. He could come home and do ALL the moves.
I raised a couple of actors!

Flo said...

I can still recite the ending to "The Black Velvet Ribbon" after all these years!

Yeah, Happy Feet was cute, but I'm not going to rush to buy the DVD, either.