Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Chef YS

One of my favorite channels on cable is the Food Network. I really enjoy watching all the different dishes made by all the various chefs. As a little kid I remember watching “The Galloping Gourmet” while dissecting a Ding-Dong. The trick would be to have enough of the center left so that you have something to eat when he sat down to his newly made creation. How many people do you know that can take 30 minutes to eat a Ding-Dong? Quite the feat, I’m here to tell ya.
Anyway, one of my favorite personalities on TFN is Paula Deen. Her southern charm along with her wonderful recipes makes her fun to watch. YS has also become a huge fan. He watches her with me everyday. Last Friday night I let him stay up late and watch “Paula’s Party” with me. It’s a little different format than he’s used to with her but he liked it. She was making snacks, deep-fried ravioli, gator tails and macaroni and cheese. He just knew the cheese was gonna melt everywhere and was humbly surprised when it didn’t.
During the commercial we were talking about the show and the people and he questioned why she never put kids on the show. She had adults on the show but not any kids and she knows how to teach kids how to cook since she taught her sons (they have their own cooking shows and are part owners in the restaurant). I told YS I didn’t know the answers and his immediate response was “Let’s e-mail her!” so we did. We’re now waiting on a response – if we get one. We did get the automated one letting us know that our e-mail had been received so we’ll wait a little while.
E-mail is such a versatile thing, isn’t it? And yet, it just helps feed the “immediate gratification need” that some folks seem to have these days (and yes, I’m like that too sometimes, as hard as it is to believe sometimes). In any case, YS feels very grown up now that he’s ventured into the techno-version of communication and I’m left to think that we’ve come a long way since the Galloping Gourmet in more ways than one!

4 comments:

Flo said...

Good job with A A *

What does YS have in mind to cook for his foray into show business?

Lovi said...

He wants the Monte Cristo. He thinks it's very grown-up but still tastes good for kids cuz of the powdered sugar.. I thought that was cool since I was thinkin he'd want some fancy smancy pancakes likes at IHOP!

HollyB said...

My Mother is addicted to TFN. For Christmas I always get a cookbook. My Mother, Older Bro and Fav Step Bro and I can all sit down and read a cookbook the way opther people read a novel.
This year I got "The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook". It has all the recipes they use in their restaurant. As I test them in my kitchen I'll pass the good ones on to you.

Lovi said...

Yummy! Thanks Holly!