Thursday, January 11, 2007

I’m back! Not 100% but working on it!
After spending a week within the confines of the “House of Illness”, I decided maybe someone with a degree on the wall could help my kids out better than me. I’m feeling a little better – better than they are, so while I’m healing – they’re not, hence the visit to someone in the medical world.
Now this isn’t just any visit. We are on a quest. Our objective is to find a new family doctor.
For the past year our previous doctor’s office has been doing some “questionable” and very fancy accounting. It has been more exhausting to keep all of the billing straight than any illness I ever had. Ok fine. That’s not true. The allergies totally sucked. But….it’s all straightened out now and that makes it perfect timing to find a new office that knows billing procedures.
So, I take the kids to the other office here in town. We arrived 15 minutes early, walked up to the desk and gave our names. The receptionist handed me a HUGE amount of paperwork to complete (very politely as well as apologetically). Knowing this was coming; I took the paperwork to start in on it. When I turned around, DD was talking to a classmate of hers (their CNA-in-training). I called DD over to me and asked her if she was comfortable with her classmate in that position. She said she wasn’t sure. I said that if it wasn’t that’s ok – we’ll do this visit and find someone else – that I for one will not using this office.
Don’t get me wrong here. This is a nice girl. Not perfect but not horrible. But because she’s friends with DD, I’ve heard every drama that has passed through this child’s’ life, and there has been a lot of it. It there wasn’t something happening – she made it happen. I've heard the gossip she’s spewed amongst her friends – about her friends. She’s young, that’s what some teenagers do I guess. All fine and dandy but not what I want out of someone whom I going to entrust my medical information too. So I’m headed elsewhere.
I digress.
Miss CNA calls us back to the main hall and proceeds to take YS's vitals. DD’s jaw drops to the floor when she finds out the Miss CNA will now know her weight. Yep, I knew it was coming, but it was buck up time at the point. After YS came DD’s turn. She went through all the vitals like a trooper (giggle) and then Miss CNA asks what we came to see the doctor for. Now, we’re in the main hall, where Lord and all can hear and I’m thinking “I just signed sh*t loads of papers about our privacy and you want me to tell you and all these people in the hall here what’s wrong with my children’s health?” Me don’t thinks so. I asked if we could go to our room to discuss it. Not that what was wrong with the kids was something to keep on the hush but come on here! She showed us to the room and left.
Now try and picture this: I’m coughing so hard and so much that I made promises to whoever I could name at the time that I would do the Kegal exercises faithfully if I could just get home without peeing myself and please, please, please don’t let me fart sitting on this metal chair! So we’ve got that going, plus DD is sneezing (and some kind of moaning in pain at the same time, it was just creepy) and YS is sniffling/sucking up snot like there’s no tomorrow when the NP chooses that moment to walk into the room. I’m thinking we’re making a great first impression here with all these bodily noises when YS – in a manner only he could do – looks at the NP and says “We’re thinking of starting a band – like our sound?” You gotta love this kid!
Anywho, I thought the NP was ok – enough to give her a second visit if the other issue hadn’t surfaced. But then at the end of the visit, the NP was explaining all the options which will come with the tests results when in pops Miss CNA. She just stood along the wall. She wasn’t in there to do anything other than to listen. I literally bit my tongue - I’ll pay for that for the next few days. One of the disadvantages of living in a small town I suppose.
So we’ll continue our quest for the new family doctor – in another town.

4 comments:

HollyB said...

Oh, Lovi, PLEASE tell the Doc EXACTLY why you won't be returning. And tell your insurance carrier as well. THEY need to know this. you signed the privacy papers, that is a CONTRACT. IF you have ANY concerns about your privacy being violated, such as being asked questions in a common area! tell the DOC and your Insurance carrier. The Insurance carrier can threaten the doc w/ pulling their coverage! that should make things better for the NEXT patient if not for you!
Hope you find somebody close to home.

Flo said...

Ok, yeah, yeah, ditto what Holly said.

What I really want to know is if you left the office without damage to the chair.

Lovi said...

Oh Holly - the formal letter is in the works. I just planned on sending it to the dr's office but when Miss CNA came up to DD in school today and asked about her "problem" with other people around? That did it. I'm sending it to the the dr, the insurance company (thanks Holly!), the Vo=Tech where she is receiving her training and anywhere else I can find in the meantime.
Thanks for the support!
Oh - and Flo... shame on you! Did ya ask how your niece and nephew were? Did ya ask what was wrong with 'em (besides the obvious)? Noooooooo.....you want to know whether I farted on the metal chair and damaged it? You gotta love family :)

Flo said...

Oh puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, your family has survived much worse. Inflicted by your own family, to boot! (No, not me.) And was there some reason you chose to harp on me instead of answer the question? Hm, reminds me of..........

Don't wait for the doc to get the letter. Little Miss CNA-in-training needs to find new employment and may want to consider a vocation change. PDQ, before she uses any more of your tax dollars.