Thursday, December 14, 2006

Dancing Drama

Recently I had the pleasure (really – someday I’ll actually think of this day as pleasurable) of attending the Nutcracker with my son’s 2nd grade class. I have been on many a field trip with children this age and groups this size, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. Or thought I did. I suppose it’s kind of like childbirth – once it’s over – you forget all about the pain preceding that point.
Now I am a firm believer that children should be exposed to the fine arts – at an early age even. However, I believe it should be done age appropriately. Having an entire school of 2nd graders sit for 2 hours without moving, talking, kicking, farting, picking their noses, picking their neighbors noses, yawning or humming is unrealistic. It’s just gonna happen.
The first act is not my favorite by any means, however, I really did want to see the ballet – or most of it anyway. I spent the entire first act patting the knee of “the kicker”, giving the “look” at “the Mexican jumping bean”, shaking my head no at “the tattler” and “ssshhhing”(finger over lips – not actually saying it) at “the talker”. I looked around the auditorium and noticed that there were several age groups represented there. We were not the youngest there but they were in the balcony so I wasn’t able to watch them. On the main floor was our age group up to middle school (say 6th grade?). First I was pleased to see that it wasn’t only my little group (all parents had 4 kids they were responsible for) that couldn’t sit still. It was the entire school – which explains why we were all seated in the back (the older kids were seated up front). The groups directly in front of us were 3rd maybe 4th graders. They sat in their seats quietly, not moving for the most part. I watched and wondered if they were better behaved than our school or if their little lives were threatened if they moved.
I don’t believe it was either. I spent a great deal of time observing “our” kids. They were really well behaved kids. There was the one or two that needed special “attention” (every group has them) but for the most part – they were really good. The kids in front of us were good also. I jus think they were older, more mature and could sit for a longer period of time.
I asked our classroom teacher who chose the field trip. Is it teachers collaborating or music teachers or administration? The particular trip was spear-headed by the music teachers. Which explains a lot. The senior teacher – is just that. She ready to retire. Very nice woman, don’t get me wrong, very, very nice woman. Good with kids but a little out of touch with today’s kids. The other music teacher shouldn’t be allowed around small children. Her maturity level is that of a 3rd grader. (I don’t like her – can’t you tell?) I mean really, who wears a form-fitting see-through mini dress to a second grade field trip to the city?
Anywho, as I said before, age appropriate exposure is the name of the game. Instead of being delighted by the dance, the costumes and the story, these children will not be giving ballet a second thought. On the bus on the way back to the school, we talked about our favorite parts (processing is what they call it now). I, for one, am not a huge fan of ballet but I can appreciate the beauty of the dance as well as the work and stamina needed to do the dance. The children couldn’t name anything off the tops of their heads that they liked about the ballet. Oh, the bathrooms were cool and had lots of toilet paper, and the lines weren’t too bad, there wasn’t any candy or pop or any refreshments, the balcony would’ve been fun to sit in. But for the actual ballet, the only one to say anything (and yes, it had to my YS), he liked the sword fight where the mouse died cuz’ he’s an action kind of guy and not a “dancing drama” kind of guy. How sad for these kids. Hopefully, these kids will be exposed to this dancing art at another time when they can appreciate it a little better.
Me? I came home, took 4 advil and a 15 minute power nap. When I got up, I emailed the teacher thanking her and volunteering to go on the next trip.

3 comments:

HollyB said...

You're a braver woman than I, Lovi. I'd've needed the fortification of valium and/or Tequila to chaperone that trip w/o harming munchkins or myself!

Anonymous said...

They probably should have taken a ballet trip like the one we took as Girl Scouts 7 years ago at JCCC. Remember? They met the dancers in small groups, learned a few dance positions, then watched the RD condensed version of The Nutcracker. That trip was fun, educational and the kids only had to sit still for an hour.

Anonymous said...

Back in the olden days when I attended Dallas Public Schools (back when it a was a fabulous system)they'd pack us up twice a year, during 4-6th grades,and haul us off to the State Fair Music Hall for an outing with the Dallas Symphony and Dallas Opera company. It was a hoot!

The musicians would demonstrate their individual instruments and play something FUN! The opera (Orpheus in the Underworld - will never forget it) was very cool because they showed us how the production came to be - from lighting, to make up, to costumes, to sets - you name it! The opera company sang for maybe, just maybe 15-20 minutes but it was ROWDY stuff. Lots of "sound and fury" if you will. Perfect for our age group.

We were all duly impressed and on our best behavior. It was the highlight of our school year. I don't know if they still do it - it'd be a real shame if they don't.