Monday, March 12, 2007

A Mission

I almost felt bad for DH over the weekend. Notice I said “almost”. You see, he’s on a mission –not one of choice really but one that he’s capable of accomplishing easy enough – but if he keeps in mind the alternative, he can come through it. It’s all in how you look at it.
I guess I ought to explain. We have an oversized three car garage. In it is 1 mini-van (if the weather is bad and I shove everything to the side or stack it on top of other stuff I can get it in there), one hot lookin’ Harley and bunches upon bunches of pure crap.
The man is a pack rat and can’t help himself. It’s been this way for 10 – count them – 10 years. I have been after DH for several years to clean it up to no avail. Something is always coming up. There’s fish to catch, deer to shoot, NASCAR to watch, and some understandable overtime at work.
On Jan 1 of this year I finally put my foot down. I gave DH “the ultimatum”. He had until June 1 to clean the garage and be able to get 2 - count them – 2 vehicles parked in the garage – and at the same time. If he failed then I went in on June 2 and cleaned house. It seemed to have worked. He’s been hard at it out there. He filled 4 industrial sized trash bags with stuff and barely made a dent, but he did it. It was hard for him and I know it. I watched him stand over those 4 bags with his head bowed down like he was at some funeral for odds and ends pieces of a ceiling fan that was taken down 6 years ago and the 2 weed eaters that were dismantled because “some day” they’ll get fixed….maybe. Oh and don’t forget the dismantled 12 inch bicycle that Amber used to ride before she outgrew it….never mind that fact that a neighborhood boy took the bike for a joy ride and a car ran over it (don’t ask) and bent the wheels (DH said if you replaced the wheels and the tires and the bent frame – maybe even put on a new chain – it would be in great shape). Yeah, he is taking this hard. The end result will make him happy though – if for no other reason than I’ll quit harping at him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Men, God love 'em! And to think it's only March. What a guy.

HollyB said...

6 months to clean out a garage, now THAT is a realistic goal!