Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Aquariums


My OS is looking into starting up a salt-water aquarium. I’m really excited for him…I love the looks of them but I’m very intimidated by them! I don’t even know if I have the patience or self-discipline to take care of one! Not OS though – he’s jumping right in! He’s in the beginning stages now, he’s done his research and he’s looking for the tank (125 gal and up). He’s already found a couple that he likes – he’s just thinking about which one will become the winner. Then it’s time to build it up with filters, heaters, etc. There’s a lot of money wrapped up in this hobby so I know it’s important to take your time.
I’m going to be watching him step by step to see how hard it really is. I have three aquariums now (2- 55 gal and 1-30 gal) that I have decorated to suit the “theme” of the room it’s in. For example, the aquarium above is in my office and done in Southwest décor. I have one in the family room that has plants (for hiding) and wood (for the cichlids). My last one is in my living room and features an old Roman ruins.
The fanciest fish I have are the cichlids but I'd love to have something unique in one tank.
So I’ll watch and see how hard the salt water set up is to maintain; I’ll learn the upkeep process and who knows – I might convert one 55 gal. tank to saltwater. Any advice is always appreciated!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about fish, but would like to see what you come up with for MFD. I think she would love something like that. She used to get some kind of Japenese fighting fish( can't remember the name) but, you could only have one or they would kill to the death. Not exciting to watch one fish swim around.

Lovi said...

I know what you mean Lainy - one fish just doesn't cut it. The fish that you has was called a Betta (how they got that out of Japanese fighting fish is a guess to me). There are some absolutely gorgeous ones out there but you're right - you can only have one male (the females aren't "pretty") in your tank at a time or they fight to the death. Plus they are top dwellers. Hate to spend money on decorating a tank if they only stay at the top! You could however mix other non-agressive fish with the Betta and be ok.

Flo said...

125 gallons? I wanna see, I wanna see. I haven't been to their place yet anyway.